Friday, May 15, 2015

Interview with D.D. Miers, Author of Dark Summoner (Relic Keeper Series, Book One)




What made you decide to be an author?
 I love bringing magic into the everyday world. I’m a huge fan of romance and happy endings and writing allows me the freedom to offer that consistently. In the real world, we don’t often end up with everything we want. Giving people the chance to escape from the stresses or monotony of daily life is what I love to do.
I’m also a huge Fantasy/Sci-Fi nerd so writing about the paranormal seemed natural to me. Telling Abby’s story in Dark Summoner was one of the first times that I connected on a whole other level to a story and the characters within. My big “Aha” moment came last year when I attended: Buildin’ The Dream, a writer’s conference/workshop in Arizona. That entire conference changed my life and gave me the push I needed to become a published author.
What do you like best about being a writer? What do you like the least?
I love connecting to a story. Feeling it take shape from within my soul and slowly form onto paper. You can create magic and beauty in a world all your own without restriction or limitation. If my books can convince someone to peak over their shoulder every now and then, looking for the hidden magic in this world, then I’ve done my job.
You’ll hear it from authors again and again, but my biggest dislike is EDITS!!!! – Ugh, they are the worst!
How do you think your life experiences have prepared you for writing?
I think every aspect of our lives influences us as writers, even if we don’t recognize it. Things that may seem inconsequential at the time can have a direct impact on your writing and the kinds of characters and stories you choose to tell. I’m not sure there is any way to truly be “prepared” for writing. It’s a highly unique process and one that often changes on a regular basis. We all have stories within us waiting to be told, but whether or not you choose to listen to those voices is what separates writers from the rest.
Have you ever felt as if you were being dictated to while you wrote a book--as if the words came of their own accord? If yes, which book did that happen with?
Yes, absolutely! It doesn’t happen with every part of a book, but there have been several times where entire scenes or moments just poured out of me onto the page. There have also been several times where the story has taken a completely different direction than I initially intended.  This definitely happened with Dark Summoner, but it’s also how I’ve come up with the seven other books I’m writing as well!
You’ve written one novel and are working on 4 more novels that you plan to publish this year (2015). What’s your favorite time management tip? 
I really enjoy using Evernote. It allows me to jot down ideas on my phone, whether it’s late at night, early morning, during work etc. It’s a great way to organize ideas and thoughts into a logical manner that makes sense for you as an individual. You can choose the way you file and reference your notes and notebooks, which allows you to go back and work on them whenever necessary.
Are you a plotter or a pantser, i.e., do you outline your books ahead of time or are you an “organic” writer?  
Yikes! I’m ALL over the place. It really depends on the story but most of the time my ideas/scenes/characters come to me and then I have to take the time organize and plot out the direction of the story. Sometimes I’ll jot down a specific scene that is clear-as-day and then I’ll have to plot exactly where it will go in the story.
If you had one take away piece of advice for authors, what would it be?
Never give up. No matter how hard or challenging it becomes. We only have one life to live and it’s important to take a chance. Failure means you tried to do something greater. You had the strength to risk your ego or your pride to reach for your dreams. You don’t want to look back and have that “what-if” moment. We each will always have regrets, but don’t let your dreams of being an author be stopped by fear.
Did music help you find your muse with this book? If yes, which song did you find yourself going back to over and over again as you wrote?
Oh my goodness! Music is my life when I’m writing. It can take me to a really dark place, or a sensual place, or a silly place. I usually will spend time hunting for songs that fit specific scenes out of my playlist. They can bring me almost immediately into the mood of a scene that I’m working on. Sometimes I’ll also hear songs that actually inspire scenes in my writing. Again, music is an INTEGRAL part of my writing process. A song that always tends to inspire me is Don’t Deserve You by Plumb and Paul van Dyk.
Tell me more about Dark Summoner.
Abby Davenport has spent the last ten years forgetting her past until a fateful night reveals her false reality. Thrust into a new world of dark sorcery and ancient magic, she’s shocked to discover her destiny lies as the keeper of a powerful relic. Now everyone wants to control, own, or destroy her. No longer able to discern truth from lie, she’s torn between a charming guardian and a mysterious summoner. Abby finds herself strangely drawn to each man—one sworn to protect and one who calls to her soul. Can she survive the strange and dangerous labyrinth of the first realm, where every move, emotion, and reaction must be a calculated one?
How about an excerpt from Dark Summoner?
A thunderous boom clattered overhead. The powder-blue blanket of sky had been replaced with ominous black clouds barreling over town. Unnerved by the sudden change, I picked up my pace, but I barely had a moment to move when an enormous downpour plunged from the clouds and drenched me in seconds. The odor of rot blew in my direction, and I panicked. I took off into a sprint, running for the first open door I could find, which happened to be the next shop over. The bell jingled violently as I swung the door open at full force before slamming it shut behind me. I was surprised I didn’t break the glass.
I searched for the figure that had followed me. Fear crept up my spine as the minutes ticked on. A thunderous roar broke from the sky and within seconds lightning flashed. The lights in the small shop flickered before completely going out.
“Can I help…?” The words came from the saleswoman at the register, but I didn’t respond or even bother turning around. Her voice trailed off from behind me. No doubt she was alarmed by my behavior, but it couldn’t be helped.
Whether it was paranoia or reality, I didn’t care anymore. I kept my hand tight on the brass doorknob as I pressed forward against the wooden frame. The door creaked under the pressure, but I held my stance. I needed to keep whatever was outside, out. My heavy breathing fogged the glass, making it difficult to see through. I squinted and pulled the arm of my jacket up, trying to rub away the moisture, but all it did was create foggy smears. When the lightning flashed again, two black soulless eyes stared directly into mine from outside. The gray skin of his lips sagged over his smile. I screamed in terror and jumped away from the door. I stumbled backward, lost my footing, and tripped over the plastic bags that I’d scattered along the wood floor behind me.
I didn’t even have a chance to brace myself as I hit the edge of a table with a hard smack. The back of my head made direct contact with the wood and then everything went black.
Author Bio D.D. Miers is an ardent book lover, coffee enthusiast, and die-hard romance fan. When she’s not writing, she can be found snuggling on the couch with a good book in hand. She currently resides in beautiful Southern California with her wonderful husband, a crazy toddler, and the many different characters in her head.

Where can readers find more about your stories, books and you on the Internet?
Website Links:
Website:  http://ddmiers.com/

Buy Links

D.D. Miers, thank you so much for being with us here today. I know my readers will enjoy your work and your interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment