Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Character Interview: Cheyenne Constantine from House of the Rising Son, Book 1 of Living After Midnight by Trevann Rogers


 
Where are you from? Did you have a happy childhood? Unakite City. Yeah, I guess I was happy growing up. Mostly. My mom...my mom was everything, you know? She was human, so she had it kind of tough trying to live in my dad's world. But music...That made her happy. She sang to me all the time. I guess she's responsible for me being in the business. Even gave me my first guitar. Still have it too...No matter what I play, it has the sweetest sound. 

Things got weird at the compound after she died. Without her, I stood out like a freak, the son of the Monarch of the Incubi Nation, Sovereign of all supernatural races, a damn half-breed with no real Power. Almost everyone hated me. My dad's other wife, even my dad, other kids, my brother--make that half brother. Let's not get it twisted. 

I got the hell out of there when I was sixteen. Been on my own ever since.  

Where do you live now and what do you do for a living? Is there something you'd rather be doing? I'm still in Unakite but on the Southside. Got my own place--it ain't the compound, but it's not bad. Right now I'm the house band at Eddie's, a bar not too far from me. It pays the rent, and the owner's cool. But I'd rather be a rock star, living that life. Raking in a million bucks, drinking Cristal, with my CD going platinum. Sex, rebellion, rock and roll, right? One day it’s gonna happen. It has to.

 What's going on in your life right now? Trying to make ends meet while I get my music thing off. the ground. And staying under my father's radar. He hates my music, so he'd be really pissed if he knew I was still performing. Don't ask why--If I told you, I'd have to...Just joking. I'm a lover, not a fighter.  

Is there someone special in your life? Yeah, I guess so. We're seeing how it goes. We don't have much in common, except our crazy families. His name is Alexander. I call him Zander. 

How did you meet? What's his/her family like? Ann, one of the waitresses at Eddie's introduced us. Said he was my "biggest fan" She might have been right. His family? His sisters seem pretty cool, but his dad...Let's just say he doesn't have it any better than I do in that department. Might even have it worse. :cough: homophobe :cough:  

What's keeping you two apart? Did ya hear what I said about our fathers? Plus the fact that Zander's human and I'm not, he's straight and I'm not, he's rich and I'm not...none of that helps. I, uh...I also have a hard time trusting people. And I don't want him to start thinking I need him or anything like that.  

What one thing could you do that would make you feel like the relationship will work out? I care a lot about the big guy, but I'm not going to rush him, or push him into something he might regret and then hate me for. If he wants to be with me, cool. If not...he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Any last comments? No, I don't think so...but um, mind if I call you Mary? Cause your essence tastes like maraschino cherries. Super sweet, kinda slippery wet...Bet I could tie you in a knot with my tongue. Would you be my cherry on top? Don't be shy, it's okay to say yes. ‘Cause I already know what you want.  
 
Author bio: Trevann Rogers writes urban fantasy and LGBT paranormal romances. Her stories incorporate an unquenchable addition to music and her love for vampires, Weres, incubi and rock stars. Like these elusive creatures, Trevann learned long ago that sometimes being yourself means Living After Midnight.  

Available from Samhain Publishing and AMAZON
 
House of the Rising Son, Book 1 of Living After Midnight, Blurb:
Cheyenne is a half-human incubus whose star is on the rise in the Unakite City rock scene. His father, the leader of the supernatural races, would prefer he keep a “low profile”, but screw that. Cheyenne has as much music in his veins as royal incubi blood.

Alexander's future is all set—finish law school, join the family firm, and marry someone who'd be good for business. Not that he has a say in any of it. He's barely met the woman his father expects him to marry. 

As Cheyenne's musical career takes off, his carefully constructed life begins to unravel, exacerbated by an ex-lover who can't let go, a crotchety barkeeper with a dirty mind and a pure heart, a drag queen who moonlights as a nanny, and Alexander—who's not sure if he's falling for the incubus or the rocker. 

Cheyenne denies who he is, while Alexander hides what he wants. Together, they learn that getting what they truly want means being who they truly are.

Warning: Contains hot were-tiger sex, a Thanksgiving celebration that makes the Inquisition look like a tea party, and an incubus who'll rock your world.


Excerpt:
While waiting for their drinks, Alexander studied the deep grooves carved into the table, trying to ignore the friction of Cheyenne’s thigh rubbing against his as the musician tapped a heel to the thump of the DJ’s music. Once the drinks arrived, Alexander downed half the bottle before he realized Cheyenne’s large green eyes were staring at him.
“So where’s your girl, Prudhomme? I mean, Prune Danish. No, wait...”
“Prudish. Shit, Prudence,” Alexander sputtered.
Cheyenne’s eyes sparkled. “No, you got it right the first time. Where is she?”
He shrugged. “Home, I guess.”
Cheyenne cocked his head. “Oh, really?” He put his hand on Alexander’s leg. “What’s up? You can tell me.”
“It’s not working out.” Alexander dragged his teeth over his lower lip. “It’s my fault.” He couldn’t keep his attraction to Cheyenne out of his voice. “I don’t know what’s happening to me.”
Cheyenne put his thumb to his lip and paused.“It’s like the drink.”
Alexander tilted his head, not sure he heard correctly. “The drink?”
“Yeah, that nasty ass bourbon. I bet your father drinks it. Your uncles. All your friends. Everybody, right?”
He didn’t answer, but waited for Cheyenne to continue.
“It was just expected that you’d drink it too. So you did.” His hand moved up Alexander’s thigh. “But now, maybe it’s okay to drink what you like. A different brand, a better vintage. Because you want it. Because it tastes better.” Cheyenne licked his lips. “Because it feels right.”
Alexander cleared his throat and brushed his lap, pushing Cheyenne’s hand away. “I can’t.”
“If you change your mind, let me know.”
“You don’t understand. It’s not that easy. My whole life will change.”
“It already has.”



Author links, webpages, fan pages, and book trailers.


No comments:

Post a Comment