Monday, November 5, 2018

Interview with Jennifer Wilck, Author of LEARNING TO LOVE


What made you decide to be an author?
I’ve always had stories running around in my head. I used to tell them to myself when I was a child in order to fall asleep at night. As an adult, I started writing them down after my kids were in bed and I needed to get back to doing something that was just for me. It let me disappear from all the daily responsibility and stress and escape into a world where I could control the outcome. Once I had written my first manuscript, I joined RWA and my local New Jersey chapter, submitted to contests, attended conferences and slowly learned the publishing process.
What do you like best about being a writer? What do you like the least?
The thing I like best is being able to create a world where I control the outcome, probably because I’m a little of a control-freak in real life. But I love being able to come up with the perfect comeback or funny response on paper, since I can’t always do that in real life. The thing I like the least is probably the isolation and rejection. I mean, I can push through the isolation by networking with other authors and I have my tribe, but it can get a little lonely at times. And of course, getting a “thanks but no thanks” from editors is difficult.
 How do you think your life experiences have prepared you for writing?
Well, I’m quiet and I observe a lot. I love asking “What if…” whether it’s in response to something happening in real life or on TV. Before I started writing romance, I worked in public relations and for a few magazines and newspapers, and even though romance is a very different way of writing, I did learn to be spare and to use good grammar and punctuation (although I still make mistakes!). I’ve also learned to find humor wherever I can, and I love including it in my books.
Have you ever felt as if you were being dictated to while you wrote a book--as if the words came of their own accord? If yes, which book did that happen with? Yes! I love when it happens and I have learned that when it does, SIT AND WRITE! It happened in my first book, A Heart of Little Faith. And it happens in most of my others, at least in a few scenes. Usually, I get the black moment that way, often first, and sometimes key dialogue between my heroes and heroines. Now, if only I could convince my characters to start talking to me in a linear fashion, keeping up with where I am currently in my WIP, rather than starting in some random place that I then need to blend.
You’ve written eight novels and are working on a9th novel. What’s your favorite time management tip?
Well, right now I’m taking a small break from writing—a few weeks—just to recharge. But once I’m back to writing, I try to write every day. For me, I try for 1,000 words a day, or at least a scene. The words don’t always flow well, and they ALWAYS need revision, but if I can get them on the page, I have something to work with. Writing for me is like a muscle. The more I use it, the stronger it is. And I put it on my daily list of things I need to do, just like I write down my errands, appointments and anything else of importance. Because it is important, and if I don’t treat it as such, then it gets pushed to the wayside and I don’t get anything done.
Are you a plotter or a pantser, i.e., do you outline your books ahead of time or are you an “organic” writer?
I’d love to be a plotter. I’m in awe of people who can outline. Unfortunately, I can’t. So I write as the words come into my head and then I outline when I edit—the outline helps me see the story and character arc, and it also helps me with the timeline.
If you had one take away piece of advice for authors, what would it be?
Write what calls to you. Don’t worry about trends or what people tell you to write. If it’s meaningful to you, if you love what you’re writing, your readers will feel it too and they’ll love it.
Did music help you find your muse with this book? If yes, which song did you find yourself going back to over and over again as you wrote?
No, I don’t write to music. I find myself singing along with the lyrics and then I can’t write. J
Tell me more about LEARNING TO LOVE.
Dina Jacobs is a single librarian who has never fit in due to her off-the-charts intelligence, frizzy hair and rounder-than-socially-acceptable figure. She left her past behind until she receives an invitation to her ten-year high school reunion, and all her insecurities return.
Adam Mandel is a single corporate attorney who just missed his third deadline at his father's law firm, the law firm where he is up for junior partner. With his reputation on the line, Adam needs all the help he can get to convince his father that he deserves the promotion.
When Dina and Adam run into each other on a deserted road, Dina thinks Mr. Flashypants can't possibly be interested in someone like her. Adam thinks Dina is just the person to help him improve his reputation. Lies and insecurities force them to take a look at themselves. Can they trust each other to look beyond the surface?
Buy Links:   Amazon    Apple    Barnes & Noble 

How about an excerpt from LEARNING TO LOVE?
What the hell just happened?
She wanted to be friends.
The only kind of “friend” he wanted to be with her had “boy” attached to it. No, that wasn’t true. He enjoyed her friendship because he loved talking to her, hearing her opinions, sharing himself with her.
But he was becoming more attracted to her. So far, they’d only kissed, but that one kiss, that unbelievable kiss, haunted him. His lips still burned where they’d touched hers, his insides still turned to jelly when he thought about it. In fact, he’d been hoping there would have been more kissing in her apartment once he’d apologized for his gaffe.
But she’d focused on their arrangement and her overreaction, and here he was pulling away from the curb into rush hour traffic.
She thought he was dating her only to impress his father. If he were one hundred percent honest with himself, he’d acknowledge the partial truth in that statement. But the more time he spent time with her, when he wasn’t royally screwing things up with her, the more he wanted to move beyond their arrangement.
His head was another matter. It was still focused on not making a fool of himself, on maintaining the right reputation, on spinning the right message.
But listening to his head was probably what had gotten him into this mess in the first place. As unbelievable as it might sound, it was time to follow his heart.  
Where can readers find more about your stories, books and you on the Internet?

Buy Links:   Amazon    Apple    Barnes & Noble  

Jennifer, thank you so much for being with us here today. I know my readers will enjoy your work and your interview.




17 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer--I'm with you on getting words on paper so you have something to work with. And that ability to perfect the perfect comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My perfect comebacks always arrive at 3 am. LOL!

      Delete
    2. I so wish when someone said something I could just press pause, go write until I had something good, and then read it to them! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Great interview. I was thinking about the loneliness of writing recently, because I’ve been feeling it. I felt fortunate to have the Internet to connect with other writers. It must have been awful for authors, pre-Internet...I guess that’s why so many of them drank. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And started fights in person. LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I know, seriously! I have a writer friend and we meet for coffee about once a month. It keeps me sane. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Great interview! I share several writing thoughts with you, I couldn't plot my way out of a paperbag. My characters control the story and the direction. Sometimes I get a little input. LOL Best of luck with your new release Learning to Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how they like to take the wheel! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Tena. I'm trying to plot right now because I think I need a little control. I doubt it will be successful, but maybe?

      Delete
  5. Nice interview, Jennifer. Always nice to learn more about fellow authors. From one pantster to another, I wish you continued success. Your cover is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CB! I enjoy getting to know all my new friends as well.

      Delete
  6. Love this interview and excerpt Jennifer! This story sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. It really was a lot of fun to write.

      Delete
  7. Great interview. Loved getting to know this author. Her quiet-observer confession surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start out quiet until I get to know you. Then, watch out! :)

      Delete